Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Laundry for Christmas?

Just a quick addition to my previous post about homemade laundry soap. There is a neighbor down the road, who has been very welcoming and helpful since I moved here. He's 6'4" and everyone calls him Shorty...!

He moved here about three years ago, escaping the People's Republic of Massachusetts. ;) He  works as a cashier at a truck stop and even though he can barely pay his rent, he let a guy who is down on his luck, out of a job and newly homeless, move in so the guy wouldn't be "out in the cold", so to speak, in a Montana winter.  Shorty is always there when someone needs help with something, he helped me unload and store stuff when I got here, shares whatever he has, even though there's barely enough for himself.

As Christmas approaches, I thought...it would be nice if I could do something for Shorty...but what could I give him? I'm no better off than he is...no "discretionary" spending, nothing extra for gifts. But ... I also know that the best presents have nothing to do with price tag.

AH HA!!! I just made laundry soap!!!  Perfect! I can give him some and it will help him save some money! I found a suitable jar, made a label, found a bit of ribbon and...viola!..here it is...

So, there's an idea for any of you who are strapped for cash and still want to show people you care about them this Christmas. It's not fancy, but its from the heart and certainly useful.  You guys can probably do better with the packaging ;) but I used what was already laying around. I probably have less than $1 in this gift and Shorty will have a big jug of laundry soap that will probably save him around $10 or more.

Now I'm thinking about my other neighbors....I'll keep you posted!

Blessings to all!


No comments:

Post a Comment