Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Jefferson River and Snow Driving!

The Jefferson River is a tributary of the Missouri River, approximately 77 miles (124 km) long, in the U.S. state of Montana. The Jefferson River and the Madison River form the official beginning of the Missouri at Missouri Headwaters State Park near Three Forks. It is joined 0.6 miles (1.0 km) downstream (northeast) by the Gallatin.
The Lewis and Clark Expedition visited the site on 28 July 1805. Meriwether Lewis in his journal entry wrote:
Both Capt. C. and myself corresponded in opinon with rispect[sic] to the impropriety of calling either of these [three] streams the Missouri and accordingly agreed to name them after the President of the United States and the Secretaries of the Treasury and state.

The Jefferson River in September
    

 ...in December 2010
  

Imagine what it will be in February?

One thing that strikes me, as I drive around here with all this snow on the ground (which isn't really much by Montana standards!) is how easy it is to drive on it, compared to driving in snow in Georgia! The main roads are cleared pretty quickly, so no biggie there, but the back roads are still covered with snow pack...traction is great even though I only have street tires...and probably will for some time to come. Tires for my truck run about $700-$800 for a set of four ...THAT ain't happenin' any time soon...LOL!! So lucky for me, this type of snow, is not the slippy, slidey stuff Georgia has.  I was thinking about that today as I drove the back roads and across that trestle bridge I posted a picture of before the snows came...




Remember what it looked like back then?

Here it is now....

BUT...its amazingly easy to drive on...I thought, "Man, in Georgia everyone would be freaking out to drive on that!! Including me!!!" I am happy to report, that I have adjusted well and quickly to these conditions and feel no anxiety at all driving in it!

Wanna come give it a try?? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment