Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Week In Sumas, WA

I'm behind (obviously) on my "weekly" updates. Other than having a lot of "squirrel" moments - you know those little things that derail your attention?- I have no real excuse! So tonight I plan to do a flurry of posts...hang on to your hats!!

A Week Sumas, WA -
Orientation week earlier this month went very well. Three of us (ESA instructors) were there and its always great to get together and catch up face to face. My to colleagues (and friends) are Christina Cline, who hosted us at her farm in Sumas, WA and Chad Bembenek from Wisconsin. They are among the very best in this business and just great people generally. Chad and I stayed in Christina's home during the week which afforded us plenty of opportunities to re-bond (we haven't seen each other in a few years) and talk about everything under the sun when the students had left each evening.

Sumas, WA is right on the Canadian border and Christina's farm has a beautiful view of mountains on the border. Unfortunately, as you all probably know, it rains ALL the time there. The few times it wasn't raining, it was cloudy or foggy on the mountains which obscured them, or I was busy with students, so I was not able to get any good pictures.

One cool thing I did get a picture of was a nearby bald eagle nest. Christina tells me that mating pair has been there for a long time.

Do you see the eagles? No? Yeah, they aren't there. I tried for days to get a picture when they WERE there, but it was always raining and I couldn't get the shot...when it wasn't raining, they were gone! Out of desperation, I took a picture of the empty nest. So you'll have to "visualize" two bald eagles sitting up there. Do you see them? Cool huh?? LOL!

Christina has (among other critters) and Yellow-Naped Amazon (that's a parrot). Her name is Rachel. She an I hit it off big time! She was always wanting to sit on me, ride on my shoulder and talk to me. Christina says she does that with some people, but not many. I felt honored!

Meet Rachel!

Her cage is always open (on the back side from this view) and she can come and go as she pleases. One of the funniest talents she has is...when you are vacuuming, she will sing "Whistle while you work"...she only repeats that one line over and over, but it is clearly the right tune from the song. What a racket, huh? People will vacuum your rugs to get Rachel to sing. Great idea!! Anyway, I just loved her!!

For those of you who don't know, part of ESA student training is to trim and then dissect cadaver hooves. It's not for the squeamish, but it is invaluable for people who plan a career in hoof care to practice on a cadaver, so as not to harm a live horse while they learn to trim and to understand first hand the inside of the hoof and limb. Needless to say, that produces a lot of "scrap" as we trim and pull apart the cadavers. Well, the mighty Doodle Dog happily offered his services as our "sanitation engineer" and selflessly helped in clean up....;)



All in all, it was a great learning experience for the students and a wonderful "get-together" for us.


1 comment:

  1. Dissecting cadaver hooves. Wow that would be neat. I learn best by doing and seeing.

    Cathie

    ReplyDelete