Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thanksgiving Blessings

Thanksgiving is almost here and it will be the first time I will spend this holiday away from my family. It has caused me to pause and reflect....

Many of us (an I was one) take family for granted when they are right there with or near you all the time. We often anticipate family gatherings for the holidays with a mixture of excitement and dread. I guess the excitement part is from the traditions we all have from our own childhoods, and the dread comes from familiarity of seeing them all the time anyway, and knowing there will be some drama at some point during the get-together. Someone will say something to someone and feeling will be hurt, old rivalries rear up, old issues - never fully resolved - will surface and someone will end up pissed off about something. What's the point...right?

Well, as with many things, it often takes some distance to put things in perspective. I have that distance now, and a new perspective. My family means a great deal to me. No matter the aggravation, personality clashes and old wounds...they matter...I love them and I miss them. I already know it will be felt more keenly this Thanksgiving and Christmas as the holidays come and go without them.

My neighbors (the folks I dog-sat for when I first arrived here) have invited me for Thanksgiving at their place. They have purchased a "Hutterite" turkey. You can learn about the Hutterites here. There are quite a few of their colonies here in Montana I have learned. They now own the famous King Ranch...those of you familiar with Quarter Horses will know that name!

This Thanksgiving, I will be in good company with good folks, new friends. I am very thankful for all the blessings I have been given, and for all the blessings still to come. Even (or especially) hardships prove to be powerful blessings in the long run, that I have learned well over my lifetime thus far. I took a leap of faith in coming here, in leaving everything and everyone I knew. I felt powerfully moved to do this and I know that where God guides, God provides. It will all work out, I will continue to work hard, and do what I need to do to make it here. Now and all along the way, I am and will remain thankful.

I am thankful for the love and support of my parents, who in spite of me fighting them tooth and nail my whole life, provided me opportunities to develop a solid foundation in life skills, a strong work ethic and solid moral compass.

I am thankful for the blessed gift of my children, even though I have often questioned God's wisdom in giving them to ME! ;) They have both grown into exceptional young adults who make me proud every single day....and for my grandson and grandchild soon to be. Both are true miracles.
I am thankful for the years of support, trust and friendship of all of my customers, colleagues and friends who are like family to me. I cannot imagine ever meeting a finer bunch of people here or anywhere. I miss you all.

I am thankful for all those who serve, here and overseas, among them my son-in-law. Those brave men and women who write a blank check to this nation payable up to and including their lives, and for all those who's check was cashed since America's birth ... and to their families, who sacrifice and suffer in ways most of us will never know.


I am thankful for all the bounty God provides, and the miracles all round us...large and small.

I pray that each of you have the opportunity to spend this Thanksgiving wrapped in the warmth of the love of family and friends, and that you marvel at the glory in every blessing you have been given and receive with gratitude those blessings yet to come.




Much love and Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment: