Monday, October 25, 2010

Montana Hooch

Well, here ya go! My first ever attempt to make "spirits." Whoo hooo!!

The crabapple tree was so loaded with fruit, I had to find things to do with it. Especially since this particular variety is very edible. But time was running out...the apples were fast passing their "expiration date"...so I scrambled to find things to do with them and ran across this recipe:

Crab Apple Liqueur

4 quarts crabapples, washed,cored and quartered
4 cups sugar
3 cups vodka

Fill 1 (4-quart) mason jar with tight-fitting lid with prepared crabapples.
Add the 4 cups of sugar and three cups of vodka.
Store the jar on its side, turning once every day for 16 days to help the sugar to dissolve.
After 16 days, filter out the fruit bits and bottle.


That's what was in the bottle laying on its side in an earlier post. Today was day 16 and here's the result...


I have to say...it smells like apples and tastes...GREAT! Plus its kinda pretty...don't you think? I put it up to age a bit more...we'll call it "medicinal"....uh huh...sure, sure! ;) It smooth and sweet, not strong at all...a couple of shots and I don't feel nuthin...well, mehbe a lil tinny bit.. i'm doin okay...izt nut reely efeckting mee mush......sheesss, mi hed jush hitted ta keebord...bye...

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like it has great medicinal qualities - especially at Christmas time... :-) I want some.
    Am enjoying your adventures - miss ya!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jill! Miss you too! Yeah...now I'm thinking it would be great if I had thought to add cinnamon! Might mess up the rich red color, but the "medicinal" part would be even better...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops I got behind on your blog while I was out of town; I see you didn't wait for that first cold night. Or maybe you did, since I know it's been snowing in ND and Saskatchewan this week! That is some beautiful hooch; I agree it will be perfect to leave out for Santa. Heck, maybe he'll pass out on your floor and then you'll get all the presents!

    ReplyDelete