Friday, October 22, 2010

First Customers!!

Well....its a start and I'm excited.
I was contacted by a gal (Robin) who recently moved to Helena, MT with her horse. She was a customer of a colleague of mine, Sue Mellon, who is in Vermont. Sue told her that I had just moved to MT as well and the connection was made. Thank you, Sue!

Robin is boarding her horse at a friend's farm and the friend, JJ was also interested in the whole natural hoof/horse care thing! So off I went today to see five horses, two of which had previously foundered (and recovered), three that are too fat and heading for trouble. But JJ and Robin both are already aware of the signs and many of the necessary steps to intervene. JJ is planning to put in a paddock paradise system as soon as she can, but in the mean time, she is struggling with two of her "hefty ones" because they won't keep their grazing muzzles on. On that note..in case any of you haven't run across this yet...

Earlier this year, one of my customers in GA (who has had constant trouble with one of her "fatty fat fat" mares not keeping her grazing muzzle on) told me about a new style of muzzle that solved the problem with her horse. When I saw it, it made sense why the style of muzzle we have all been using, might be annoying to some horses. Its called the Breathe Easy Grazing Muzzle and its very similar, but has large openings over the nostrils.

When I saw it I had a "Duh" moment...I can relate because it annoys me to have something over my mouth and nose. It make sense that horses would feel stifled in the same way and that may be part of the reason (or the main reason) why some just don't want to keep the thing on. It may have more to do with that "claustrophobic" feeling than it has to do with a determination to get more grass. Here's a link.

A colleague up here in MT and I connected over lunch and a couple of horses about a week ago. Her name is Pat Beebe...great gal. She got into trimming a few years after I did, but now is an accomplished professional in her own right. She has been putting the word out about me being here and sent me an email tonight about a few folks already who would like an introduction....that is a huge blessing. Thank you, Pat!

Step by step...things seem to be moving right along! Whoo hoo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment