Saturday, September 18, 2010

End of Week One

The people here are friendly and open to new residents. There is thus far no sense of the "us versus them" dynamic that is present back in Georgia from the generational residents toward the "outsiders" (flat land furriners, Floridiots, etc. as they are called by locals) who move in.

Out here in the "boonies", there is a clear current of rugged individualism among those folks I have met. They are not that far removed from the more frontier mindset that calls for getting up early and getting on with the work of the day. This place seems to be a magnet for the artisan and seems to draw such folks. You would be amazed at the variety and assortment of craftsman and skills. I don't know if that is unique to this area of if it is Montana in general; I suspect the latter.

Many do not have television, but do have internet.
Out here, there is no cable or DSL service. TV and internet must be obtained via satellite. One would think that satellite service would be the bomb-diggity compared to other delivery systems...uh, no.
Satellite TV is the same as there, either Dish or Direct TV. For internet service, it is slower than DSL and has limits on download and upload volume. It is more expensive for basic service and, like cell phone packages, if you exceed your limits, it can quickly break the bank! So, no more streaming video, large file downloads, online radio or anything else beyond basic email with constant attention to file size. YIKES!

The nearest WalMart is a 40 minute drive....since the one near me in Georgia was 2 minutes away, that's an adjustment. Should save lots of money that way, though...LOL!!

Met a gal down the road who has a friend with 5 horses...says they are in dire need of trimming (everyone standing around when she told me that nodded vigorously in agreement..that doesn't sound good!) and she wants to take me out to meet her friend soon. So today I pulled out all my gear and set up my rig for working again. It will be good to get back under a horse!

All in all its been a good week. The scenery never ceases to inspire, the people are hardy and friendly, the weather can't be beat (I know...wait until winter...LOL!). I really miss all you guys...it still feels a bit like I'm on vacation and will be coming" home."

Love to all...can't wait to get settled somewhere and see some of you when you come up to visit. For all you horse lovers...I am not far from the Pryor Mountain range. I will be going there as soon as I can to see if I can observe the Pryor Mustangs...!! Whoo Hoo!!!
Stay tuned,
Love to all!

6 comments:

  1. I'm real interested in knowing what the Prior mustangs do and what they eat in winter. What is their body condition coming in and out of winter? Katy Watts told me about 2 studies done on twigs they were eating. "Everyone" always thought they were just filler... But turns out they had very nice nutrition profiles. This was just word-of-mouth from her. I [briefly perhaps]searched, but never found the studies.

    Can't wait to hear about it!
    Pete Ramey

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I am trying it again. Do you seeee me??
    Are the Pryor Mustangs the guy who has that huge herd that he bought?? I will need to look it up.
    Miss you. Are you gone for good or on a "walk-a-bout".
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I'm already envious but Pryor Mountain Mustangs, how good can things get. I was (am) so sad to see you leave Ga., after seeing your pictures and reading your posts (which are great by the way) I want to leave and head your way. You are a very good writer.

    carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dianna,
    I am following freedom and opportunity...who knows where it will lead.

    I don't know what guy you are referencing re: the mustangs...do you have his name?

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Carole,
    Pack up and c'mon! No time like the present and nothing you can't do if you set your mind to it! There's plenty of room in Montana for wild horses and wild women...come and play!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. only satellite TV and no DSL - welcome to my world. You didn't need to go all the way to montana for those jewels! LOL

    ReplyDelete